Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Introduction from Marisa

Hi all, here's my little intro and goal spiel:


I am 26, currently living in Boulder, CO while the husband gets his PhD in Physics at the University here. I have two kids, 3 and 1. I ran my first 5K in July, and was real proud of myself. I wasn't huffing and puffing, and made pretty good time. I have NEVER been a runner and for a long time I really hated it. Like, really really. I remember the school days in PE when we were supposed to run the mile. I dreaded it. I think I even tried to fake sick just so I wouldn't have to do it. Anyway, here I am in Boulder- the running town. I decided to overcome my anti-runner attitude and just try it by starting off real slowly- walking 90 seconds, running 60 seconds. I noticed that over a week or so, I could run a 1/4 mile without getting winded and loved that. So I kept at it. And the weight came off faster than anything else I've tried (and it seems like I've tried it all). One thing I've realized about myself is that I can't do fitness videos. So I won't be doing Jillian's shred. I have to be outside. I can't run on a treadmill either. Drives me crazy. But, I am glad to join you all in the goal of getting healthy! Thanks for the invite, Sarah.  :)

As far as my own goal, at least for now, will be just to get back into running or at least biking with the kids in the bike trailer every day. My husband is training for a marathon, so I haven't been able to find time to run like I did in early summer. He runs it on October 2nd, and that is coming up quickly. I plan on finding time to run after his marathon. For now, I am going to plan on getting on my bike and taking a ride with the kids along the Boulder Creek path--hopefully for at least 20 minutes or as long as my kids will let me. Fortunately, they love the bike trailer.

4 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

How fun! I think it's nice to just have a goal--whether or not it's the shred! :) And with scenery like yours, I can see why you would pass up the video!

Sarah said...

I totally hear ya! I used to be about as anti-running as you can get, but once I tried it, I was hooked! I also LOVE having a bike trailer and think that's a great goal to have!

Kathy Whittle said...

Hey, I was the same with running back in school too - didn't like it at all! Biking is great with the kids, and you live in a beautiful area! Emily and I like to go for rides, except that we end up at the ice cream shop!

Nikki Nelson said...

I don't care for running, and I think I'm probably quite a sight to see too! I can just imagine all the people pointing and snickering at me as I pass them.
However I have heard that the process you did with running, is how you learn to like/ love it. You run for a minute, walk for four minutes, and then increase it til you're running for the full 5 minutes, etc.
Great job with the 5K! I def wont be doing anything like that... not anytime soon anyway. I prefer to walk. :]