Thursday, October 14, 2010

Milllbrae- another week since I've blogged! Really!?

So I can't believe that it's been a week already since I posted last. I didn't workout over the weekend. Monday didn't get a workout either... unless you count wrestling with both boys, by myself, at the pumpkin patch in Half Moon Bay. They wanted to ride the train, the ponies, jump in the jumping houses, feed the goats, pet the goats, on and on! It was all fun, but just really exhausting for me. The morning started out cold down there, and I felt so bad for my boys, whom I dressed in shorts and short sleeve shirts, because it was suppose to get HOT! Well, in the end I was glad I dressed them like that, because it only took about a half hour,  maybe an hour tops before it was HOT!
Anyway, I got side-tracked. I didn't workout Monday, besides chasing the boys, and helping them out for a couple hours or so on Monday.
(T2, Goofy, T1- Halloween Time Oct. 2009)

Tuesday- I did Jillian, Level 3! I'm now using my 5lb weights for this level!!! And their's one strength part that I use one 5lb, and one 3lb weight, to put 8lbs on that arm. It feels GREAT! I just wish I could see some definition coming to my arms already.
Wednesday- no workout. But did get the pleasure of having Sarah and her kids over for the day! We had some fun.

(T2, Mickey, T1- Oct. 2009
These are all in honor of us going to Disneyland's
Halloween Time next week!!!)

Thursday (today)- last night I had the entire house cleaned! Toys put away, dishes done, etc. So before I went to bed, I thought, I'll get everything ready for my workout! I got my weights out, my towels out, workout clothes out, everything but my water (cuz I wanted it cold in the morning) was out and ready.
I got woken up at 4:50 to my youngest crying because he'd kicked his covers off, and wanted me to cover him. Well, I just should've stayed up. Because I ended up sleeping through my alarms until it was ready to get up and get T1 ready for school. So I didn't end up getting a workout done today. Bummer.

But I made home-made mac-&-cheese today for lunch... broke away from the sandwiches again!!! I used whole wheat penne pasta, and it still turned out okay. The boys and I ate it anyway. (Home-made mac-&-cheese is the only kind of mac-&-cheese my oldest boy will eat. And even then he wont eat much, so we don't make it much... which is a good thing, all in all.)

Question:
When you cook rice or brown rice, have  you ever added chicken broth to it? I'm just curious as to what the chicken broth/water ratio is. 50/50? 60/40? 70/30? Any suggestions? Anyone ever tried it?

4 comments:

Kathy Whittle said...

Your boys are darling! I'm really jealous that you're getting to go to Disnleyland too! When I make white rice in my rice cooker, I think it's 2 cups water to 1 cup rice. I think chicken broth would make it taste yummy.

Nikki Nelson said...

Kathy- Thanks! I love my boys to death! And they're so excited to go to Dland again, as am I.
With the rice, I thought it'd probably make the rice taste better to add chicken broth, but I'm nervous about it. White rice tastes fine anyway, but I wish brown rice tasted better, so I was wondering if anyone had tried chicken broth before, and if so, if they used all chicken broth instead of water, or if they watered it down and did half broth/ half water, etc.
I guess I'll just have to experiment with it???? Haha!

Sarah said...

Nikki, I've never tried broth in rice, but I do it all the time when I make quinoa (which you use the same way you use rice) so I think it would work. I use the same amount of broth as I would water. I actually use boullion...so I add the amount of water I'm supposed to and then add the right amount of boullion...make sense??? I think it's worth a shot. You could always try it with a small amount first so you don't waste a ton of rice if you don't like it.

Rachel Holloway said...

hey Nikki! I always substitute broth for water --just do the same amount. Have never had a problem! It's super yummy that way!!