Friday, October 8, 2010

Millbrae- Workout and Recipe

Hello, I know it's been a while since checking in with everyone. I can't remember if I worked out on Tuesday or not. I'm pretty sure that I worked out Wednesday. I know I worked out Thursday and today, Friday.
Yesterday I really wasn't going to workout at all, the day kept going, and I kept thinking, "I need to workout, I need to workout." And I just couldn't get the motivation! Finally I thought, "OKAY! You ate the Olive Garden's Never Ending Pasta, and gained two pounds! So get your butt working out." And I drug myself to the TV, decided to put on Turbo Jam's 20 minute workout. I remembered that I liked that workout, but I forgot how much I really enjoyed that workout! I even grabbed my 3lb weights for the first 5-7 minutes or so of the punches, and boy are my arms feeling it today!
Today I did Jillian, level 3. I'm back at my 5lb weights, and she totally kicked my butt! I HATE THE LUNG JUMPS AND THE ROCKSTAR JUMPS SO BAD!  But it feels so good to be able to do the lung jumps and almost land in lung position again. Not quite there, but definately progressing! If you guys think Level's 1 & 2 are intense, just wait til you get to Level 3! It's no joke! I almost forgot about all those days that I was so sore. Then last night and this morning I was feeling the soreness setting in. I think it's gonna be stickin around for another day or two too.
So I feel like a slacker for not posting the first recipe since it was my suggestion. And I love that you posted that recipe Rachel, because I have the same recipe, just with different sauces. I use chicken, tons of veggies, and rice (white or brown, depending on the mood). So I decided that since I was introduced with the Granola in the Who's Who post, and since we need to make some more, I'd post that. I got this recipe from my step-mom, Laurie. It's a great recipe in my opinion.




(Pic courtesy of Google images.)

Laurie's Granola

Combine in a large mixing bowl:
6 cups     oatmeal (either instant or regular)
1/2 cup   wheat germ
1 cup      chopped raw nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts)
1/2 cup   raw sunflower seeds
Optional- sesame seeds, wheat flake cereal, coconut

Combine in a small bowl:
1 cup      brown sugar
3/4 cup   water
1/2 cup  canola oil
2 tsp.     vanilla
1/2 tsp.  salt

Pour wet ingredients over the dry ones and mix all together.

Line a jelly roll pan with parchement paper and pour the granola mixture into the pan. Spread it out so that it is evenly spread over the pan.

Bake in a 300 degree oven for 30 minutes.

When cooled, add in raisins or Craisins or any other dried fruit.

Store in a covered plastice container (I use an ice cream bucket).

Enjoy by itself, with a low fat milk as cereal, stirred into yogurt... or even sprinkled on ice cream!

My notes:
Confession, my husband usually makes this, and I know he adds honey to it too, to help it stick together better. I'd guess it's about a 1/2 cup... maybe 3/4 cup of honey. He also likes to add corn flakes, and all kinds of other things to it too. He adds so much extra to it, that he usually has to cook it in about 3 batches, otherwise it's too thick on the cookie sheet to cook all the way through. I like to eat it as a cereal, or a snack, but you can switch it up with a lot of different things, which is really nice. We usually add the raisins/ craisins as we get some to eat, if we want it ... not all of us like to add the dried fruits to it. It's a great recipe! And even better, it's healthy! Enjoy it! And thanks  to Laurie for giving me to share her amazing recipe.

1 comment:

Rachel Holloway said...

so what's the sauce for your chicken recipe?!?! Thanks for sharing your granola one. Excited to try it!